zones-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zones-discuss] Patching a machine with local zones

Subject: Re: [zones-discuss] Patching a machine with local zones
From: "Enda O'Connor ( Sun Micro Systems Ireland)"
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:42:29 +0100
Ron Halstead wrote:
> When patching a machine with local zones, should the local zones be halted or
> left running? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

apply latest patchadd patch
119254 SPARC
119255 x86

Once the latest patch is applies, then either halted or running will work.

One other thing, make sure to run
patchadd -a <patchid-revision>
first, -a basically does a dryrun, boots any halted zones etc and does
dependency checks.
if there are any issues with a zone not being bootable the output should
clearly indicate this ( examine the output carefully! ), and must be
remedied prior to running the actual patchadd. Might also catch issues
where a patch will not apply to one zone out of a list of zones, which
might also need to be examined depending on the patch etc.

Enda