zones-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zones-discuss] Patching a machine with local zones

Subject: Re: [zones-discuss] Patching a machine with local zones
From: "Mike Gerdts"
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 07:40:28 -0500
On 9/6/07, Enda O'Connor ( Sun Micro Systems Ireland)
<Enda.Oconnor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> One other thing, make sure to run
> patchadd -a <patchid-revision>
> first, -a basically does a dryrun, boots any halted zones etc and does
> dependency checks.

Hmmm, I've been looking for dryrun support.  A quick look at the man
page shows why I haven't found it yet.  Is the fact that the -a option
is not documented a bug or an indication that it is a private feature?
 I just need to know what to put in the bug report.

> if there are any issues with a zone not being bootable the output should
> clearly indicate this ( examine the output carefully! ), and must be

Is any work being done on improving the output of patchadd?  As it is
today, the output is extremely tedious to read and worse to try to
parse for automated checks.  I've been silently gnawing on my tongue
waiting for pdo.c to become available to see what can be done to
improve it, but the wait is getting to be quite long.

Mike

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/