zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Server upgrade

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Server upgrade
From: andy thomas
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:57:48 +0000 GMT

From: zfs-discuss-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:zfs-discuss-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of andy thomas

One of my most vital servers is a Netra 150 dating from 1997 - still going
strong, crammed with 12 x 300 Gb disks and running Solaris 9. I think one
ought to have more faith in Sun hardware.

If it's one of your "most vital," I think you should have less faith in Sun
hardware.
If it's one of your "nobody really cares, I can easily replace it," servers
then... sounds good.  Keep it on as long as it's alive.

Well, it's used as an off-site backup server whose content is in addition mirrored to another Linux server internally and as all the Netra's disks are UFS, if I ever had a problem with it I'd just pull them all out and transfer them to an E450 and power that on in its place.

Andy