zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] [O.Seibert@xxxxxxxx: A broken ZFS pool...]

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] : A broken ZFS pool...]
From: Tiemen Ruiten
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:23:34 +0100
On 02/15/2012 04:02 PM, Paul Kraus wrote:
     Are you saying that you cannot replace a failed drive without
shutting down the system? If that is the case with FreeBSD then I
suggest that FreeBSD is not ready for production use. I know that
under Solaris you_can_  replace failed drives with no downtime to the
end users, we do it on a regular basis.

     I suspect there is a method to replace a failed drive under
FreeBSD with no outage (assuming the drive is in a hot swap capable
enclosure), but as I am not familiar with FreeBSD I do not know what
it is.

Hm no, that's not what I meant, I guess I shouldn't have included that. Simply offlining the device (to make sure no attempts to access it are made) should be sufficient if you indeed assume a hotswap bay.

Tiemen