zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] One dataset per user?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] One dataset per user?
From: David Magda
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:33:14 -0400
On Jun 21, 2010, at 05:00, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

So far the plan is to keep it in one pool for design and administration simplicity. Why would you want to split up (net) 40TB into more pools? Seems to me that'll mess up things a bit, having to split up SSDs for use on different pools, loosing the flexibility of a common pool etc. Why?

If different groups or areas have different I/O characteristics for one. If in one case (users) you want responsiveness, you could go with striped-mirrors. However, if departments have lots of data, it may be worthwhile to put it on a RAID-Z pool for better storage efficiency.

Just a thought.