zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Opteron 6100? Does it work with opensolaris?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Opteron 6100? Does it work with opensolaris?
From: Thomas Burgess
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:13:54 -0400
This is how i understand it.
I know the network cards are well supported and i know my storage cards are supported....the onboard sata may work and it may not.  If it does, great, i'll use it for booting, if not, this board has 2 onboard bootable USB sticks....luckily usb seems to work regardless

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Behalf Of James C. McPherson
>Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:41 PM
>
>On 12/05/10 10:32 AM, Michael DeMan wrote:
>> I agree on the motherboard and peripheral chipset issue.
>>
>> This, and the last generation AMD quad/six core motherboards
> > all seem to use the AMD SP56x0/SP5100 chipset, which I can't  > find
much
>information about support on for either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD.
>
>If you can get the device driver detection utility to run on it, that will
give you a
>reasonable idea.
>
>> Another issue is the LSI SAS2008 chipset for SAS controller
> > which is frequently offered as an onboard option for many motherboards
> as
>well and still seems to be somewhat of a work in progress in  > regards to
being
>'production ready'.
>
>What metric are you using for "production ready" ?
>Are there features missing which you expect to see in the driver, or is it
just "oh
>noes, I haven't seen enough big customers with it" ?

I have been wondering what the compatibility is like on OpenSolaris.  My
perception is basic network driver support is decent, but storage
controllers are more difficult for driver support.

My perception is if you are using external cards which you know work for
networking and storage, then you should be alright.

Am I out in left-field on this?

Thanks,

Geoff