Re: [zfs-discuss] Opteron 6100? Does it work with opensolaris?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Opteron 6100? Does it work with opensolaris?
From: Thomas Burgess
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:02:03 -0400
the onboard sata is a secondary issue.  If i need to, i'll boot from the oboard usb slots.  I have 2 LSI 1068e based sas controllers which i will be using.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM, James C. McPherson <[email protected]> wrote:
On 12/05/10 10:32 AM, Michael DeMan wrote:
I agree on the motherboard and peripheral chipset issue.

This, and the last generation AMD quad/six core motherboards
> all seem to use the AMD SP56x0/SP5100 chipset, which I can't
> find much information about support on for either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD.

If you can get the device driver detection utility to run
on it, that will give you a reasonable idea.

Another issue is the LSI SAS2008 chipset for SAS controller
> which is frequently offered as an onboard option for many motherboards
> as well and still seems to be somewhat of a work in progress in
> regards to being 'production ready'.

What metric are you using for "production ready" ?
Are there features missing which you expect to see
in the driver, or is it just "oh noes, I haven't
seen enough big customers with it" ?

James C. McPherson
Senior Software Engineer, Solaris

zfs-discuss mailing list