zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] CR6894234 -- improved sgid directory compatibility wit

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] CR6894234 -- improved sgid directory compatibility with non-Solaris NFS clients
From: Miles Nordin
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:39:28 -0500
>>>>> "pbh" == Paul B Henson <henson@xxxxxxx> writes:

   pbh> I've got a cron job running every hour on the backend servers
   pbh> crawling around and fixing permissions on new directories :(.

To my view, if there's a problem it's first with the build system,
second with NFS.  You can fix Solaris to do what you want, right---it
is like a 1-line change, and you've already found the line to change?
Why can't you just fix all your systems in a local hg repository?  Is
that more painful than the cron job?

When I had a lot of NetBSD systems, I had plenty of local patches, and
with cvs and build.sh it wasn't a nightmare at all.  Is the Solaris
build framework really so much less convenient, or is it just a
barrier to allowing the first local patch into your site?  or you are
running a closed-source release where you have to roll over and beg
for support?