zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Zfs improvements to compression in Solaris 10?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Zfs improvements to compression in Solaris 10?
From: ""
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 20:09:29 +0200
Hi Bob,

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Prabahar Jeyaram wrote:

You seem to be hitting :

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6586537

The fix is available in OpenSolaris build 115 and later not for Solaris 10 yet.

It is interesting that this is a simple thread priority issue. The system has a ton of available CPU but the higher priority compression thread seems to cause scheduling lockout. The Perfmeter tool shows that compression is a very short-term spike in CPU. Of course since Perfmeter and other apps stop running, it might be missing some sample data.

I could put the X11 server into the real-time scheduling class but hate to think about what would happen as soon as Firefox visits a web site. :-)
I can understand wanting to be careful about running Xorg real time, but what does this have to
do with firefox?  Firefox will still run in the interactive class.

max