zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] new logbias property

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] new logbias property
From: Eric Schrock
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:05:43 -0700
On 08/11/09 06:03, Darren J Moffat wrote:

I thought so too initially, then I changed my mind and I like it the way it is. The reason being is that describing the intent allows changing the implementation and keeping the meaning. It is the intent that matters to the administrator not the implementation.

Also worth noting that is the fact that the use of WR_INDIRECT log writes is altered depending on this property. Even in a pool with no dedicated log devices, changing this property can have an effect on overall performance, so it clearly cannot be defined as simply as "use log devices" or not.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Fishworks                    http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock