Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs on 32 bit?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs on 32 bit?
From: "Bogdan M. Maryniuk"
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:27:47 +0900
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Neal Pollack<Neal.Pollack@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure I understand all this concern. 32 bit can use 1.0 TB disks as data
> drives. ZFS can use more than 1 disk. So if you hook up 48 of the 1.0 TB
> disks
> using ZFS on a 32 bit system, where is the problem?

Even if someone needs larger disk space, then it means system going to
withstand bigger/larger stream, thus they'd better probably switch to
64bit and think about better hardware anyway. Just try to imagine $100
price Atom-based Eee PC, running 1.6GHz clockspeed with 1GB RAM, yet
with 48 USB external hard drives hooked... :-)

> If someone running a 32bit system is angry because they can't waste a 1.5 TB
> seagate disk as the boot drive, then I'll admit I don't understand something
> in their requirements. What is the specific complaint please?

The only specific complaint must be related to preventing people from
defective Slashdot brainwash that sways them towards amateurish

Kind regards, bm
zfs-discuss mailing list