zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs on 32 bit?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs on 32 bit?
From: "Bogdan M. Maryniuk"
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:27:47 +0900
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Neal Pollack<Neal.Pollack@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure I understand all this concern. 32 bit can use 1.0 TB disks as data
> drives. ZFS can use more than 1 disk. So if you hook up 48 of the 1.0 TB
> disks
> using ZFS on a 32 bit system, where is the problem?

+1.

Even if someone needs larger disk space, then it means system going to
withstand bigger/larger stream, thus they'd better probably switch to
64bit and think about better hardware anyway. Just try to imagine $100
price Atom-based Eee PC, running 1.6GHz clockspeed with 1GB RAM, yet
with 48 USB external hard drives hooked... :-)

> If someone running a 32bit system is angry because they can't waste a 1.5 TB
> seagate disk as the boot drive, then I'll admit I don't understand something
> in their requirements. What is the specific complaint please?

LOL

The only specific complaint must be related to preventing people from
defective Slashdot brainwash that sways them towards amateurish
presumptions...

--
Kind regards, bm