Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS for iSCSI based SAN

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS for iSCSI based SAN
From: David Magda
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:24:30 -0400

On Jun 24, 2009, at 16:54, Philippe Schwarz wrote:

Out of curiosity, any reason why went with iSCSI and not NFS? There seems
to be some debate on which is better under which circumstances.
iSCSI instead of NFS ?
Because of the overwhelming difference in transfer rate between
them,.... In fact, that's what i read.

That would depend on I/O pattern, wouldn't it? If you have mostly random I/O then it's unlikely you'd saturate a GigE as you're not streaming. Well, this is with 3.x. I don't have any experience with 4.x so I guess it's best to test. Everyone's going to have to build up all their knowledge from scratch with the new software. :)

Cloning Windows images (assuming one VMDK per FS) would be a possibility as well. Either way, you may want to tweak some of the TCP settings for best results:

And setting isCSI target is so simple, that i didn't even search another

# zfs set sharenfs=on mypool/myfs1

zfs-discuss mailing list