zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS/zpool Versions in Solaris 10

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS/zpool Versions in Solaris 10
From: bob netherton
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:12:11 -0500

since I am trying to keep my pools at a version that different updates can handle, I personally am glad it did not get rev'ed. I did get into trouble recently that SX-CE 112 created a file system on an old pool with a version newer than Solaris 10 likes :(

-o is your best friend ;-) I can now get rid of all of those pre-allocated filesystems that I used for just this purpose. Don't know where all of the corner cases are, but this appears to be a workaround. Just keep a table of the pool and filesystem versions
for each release handy.

# zpool create -o version=10 newpool c0d0s4

I did this on nv112 and ..... drum roll please ...... it can be imported on Solaris 10.

Same thing for ZFS.

# zfs create -o version=1 rpool/legacy-file-system

Also created on nv112 and also .... wait for it ....... mountable and totally
usable on Solaris 10 10/08.

It's a beautiful thing.

Bob