zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Slow death-spiral with zfs gzip-9 compression

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Slow death-spiral with zfs gzip-9 compression
From: Karl Hakimian
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:29:53 PST
We looked at using gzip compression with zfs for a backup solution. Short
answer on our conclusion is it will not work. The gzip -9 compression just
can't sustain a large throughput of copying gigs of files. We ended up doing
non gzip compression and taking the hit on compression ratio (1.2x or so
instead of almost 3x).

In the mean time, we are working on integrating our gzip board into zfs so that
we can try again with hardware compression.