zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] backup for x4500?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] backup for x4500?
From: Bob Friesenhahn
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:39:44 -0500 CDT
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Peter Tribble wrote:
>>  Does anyone here have experience of this with multi-TB filesystems and
>>  any of these solutions that they'd be willing to share with me please?
>
> My experience so far is that anything past a terabyte and 10 million files,
> and any backup software struggles.

What is the cause of the "struggling"?  Does the backup host run short
of RAM or CPU?  If backups are incremental, is a large portion of time
spent determining the changes to be backed up?  What is the relative
cost of many small files vs large files?

How does 'zfs send' performance compare with a traditional incremental
backup system?

Bob