[zfs-discuss] ZFS layout recommendations

Subject: [zfs-discuss] ZFS layout recommendations
From: Anil Jangity
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:55:59 PST
I have pool called "data".

I have zones configured in that pool. The zonepath is: /data/zone1/fs.
(/data/zone1 itself is not used for anything else, by anyone, and has no other
data.) There are no datasets being delegated to this zone.

I want to create a snapshot that I would want to make available from within the
zone. What are the best options?

If I do something like:
zfs snapshot data/zone1@1hrbackup

How do I make that snapshot available to the zone?

It seems like I got two options:
add dataset
set name=data/zone1/recover

zfs send data/zone1@1hrbackup | zfs recv data/zone1/recover@1hrbackup

I think this option might work, but using zfs send will just send the whole
data/zone1 file system which will use more disk space instead of just sending

2. I was thinking, maybe I could do a NFS share of /data/zone1/.zfs/snapshot to
zone1. Then, do a NFS client access to that file system.

Thanks, hope thats clear.
zfs-discuss mailing list