zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Direct I/O ability with zfs?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Direct I/O ability with zfs?
From: Dale Ghent
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:44:19 -0400
On Oct 3, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Richard Elling wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, in looking at some field data this morning
> (looking
> for something completely unrelated) I notice that the use of directio
> on UFS is declining over time.  I'm not sure what that means...
> hopefully
> not more performance escalations...

Sounds like someone from ZFS team needs to get with someone from
Oracle/MySQL/Postgres and get the skinny on how the IO rubber->road
boundary should look, because it doesn't sound like there's a
definitive or at least a sure answer here.

Oracle trumpets the use of DIO, and there are benchmarks and first-
hand accounts out there from DBAs on its virtues - at least when
running on UFS (and EXT2/3 on Linux, etc)

As it relates to ZFS mechanics specifically, there doesn't appear to
be any settled opinion.

/dale