zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] HAMMER

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] HAMMER
From: Jonathan Loran
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:47:22 -0700

Richard Elling wrote:
> Jonathan Loran wrote:
<snip>...

> Do not assume that a compressed file system will send compressed.
> IIRC, it
> does not.
Let's say, if it were possible to detect the remote compression support,
couldn't we send it compressed?  With higher compression rates, wouldn't
that be smart?  The Internet is not the land of infinite bandwidth that
we often think it is.

> But since UNIX is a land of pipe dreams, you can always compress
> anyway :-)
>     zfs send ... | compress | ssh ... | uncompress | zfs receive ...

Gosh, how obvious is that, eh?   Thanks Richard.

>  -- richard

Jon

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -