zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS Scalability/performance

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS Scalability/performance
From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:45:52 +0200
On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 07:52:28PM -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
> >On that note, i have a different first question to start with. I
> >personally am a Linux fanboy, and would love to see/use ZFS on linux. I
> >assume that I can use those ZFS disks later with any os that can
> >work/recognizes ZFS correct? e.g.  I can install/setup ZFS in FBSD, and
> >later use it in OpenSolaris/Linux Fuse(native) later?
>
> The on-disk format is an available specification and is designed to be
> platform neutral.  We certainly hope you will be able to access the
> zpools from different OSes (one at a time).

Will be nice to not EFI label disks, though:) Currently there is a
problem with this - zpool created on Solaris is not recognized by
FreeBSD, because FreeBSD claims GPT label is corrupted. On the other
hand, creating ZFS on FreeBSD (on a raw disk) can be used under Solaris.

pjd@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.FreeBSD.org