zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Can you create a degraded raidz vdev?

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Can you create a degraded raidz vdev?
From: "Chris Csanady"
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:13:21 -0500
On 6/14/07, Paul Hedderly <paul+os@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Is this currently possible?

You may be able to do this my specifying a sparse file for the last
device, and then immediately issuing a "zpool offline" of it after the
pool is created.  It seems to work, and I was able to create a pool
that way with no complaints.

You can create a 400GB sparse file with something like:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=1 seek=400000 of=/path/to/vdev_file

Unfortunately, tmpfs doesn't seem to support sparse files, and while
it did appear to work on a ZFS filesystem, I'm not sure if it is a
good idea.  (I don't have any UFS filesystems.)  Perhaps someone else
can comment on this?

Still, you will have no redundancy during this operation, so I hope
you have backups.

Chris Csanady