zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: Re: update on zfs boot support

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: Re: update on zfs boot support
From: Matty
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:59:35 -0500
On 3/11/07, Lin Ling <lin.ling@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Matty wrote:
> I am curious how snapshots and clones will be integrated with grub.
> Will it be posible to boot from a snapshot? I think this would be
> useful when applying patches, since you could snapshot / ,/var and
> /opt, patch the system, and revert back (by choosing a snapshot from
> the grub menu) to the snapshot if something went awry. Is this how the
> zfs boot team envisions this working?

You can snapshot/clone, and revert back by choosing the clone from the
grub menu to boot.
Since snapshot is a read-only filesystem, directly booting from it is
not supported for the initial release.
However, it is on our to-investigate list.

How will /boot/grub/menu.lst be updated? Will the admin have to run
bootadm after the root clone is created, or will the zfs utility be
enhanced to populate / remove entries from the menu.lst?

Thanks,
- Ryan
--
UNIX Administrator