zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: Re: update on zfs boot support

Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: Re: update on zfs boot support
From: "Dick Davies"
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:01:20 +0000
On 12/03/07, Darren Dunham <ddunham@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 11:21:13AM -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> > On March 11, 2007 6:05:13 PM +0000 Tim Foster <Tim.Foster@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >* ability to add disks to mirror the root filesystem at any time,
> > >   should they become available
> >
> > Can't this be done with UFS+SVM as well?  A reboot would be required
> > but you have to do regular reboots anyway just for patching.

*if* you already have the root filesystem under SVM in the first place,
then no reboot should be required to add a mirror.  And I assume that's
all we're talking about for the ZFS mirroring as well.

Is there any reason you'd have SVM on just the one partition? I can
see why you'd
do that with ZFS (snapshot, compression, etc).

http://number9.hellooperator.net/