uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Loony problems

Subject: Re: Loony problems
From: Nigel Wade
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:34:40 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:23:11 +0000, David Gibson wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:50:12 +0000, Nigel Wade wrote:

>>> Insert ".*" to skip over leading newsgroup names.
>>>
>>>        Newsgroups: .*24hoursupport\.helpdesk
>>
>> You think I didn't try that?
>
> Did you add the rule to ~/.pan2/Score with a text editor or did you use
> that dismal graphical scoring widget?

I did it properly, using a fine text editor (vi - the best configuration
tool available).

> As a test, I added the following to ~/.pan2/Score (pan 0.132) and the
> appropriate posts (including those where comp.os.linux.setup was not the
> first group in the Newsgroups: header) were marked accordingly.
>
> [comp.os.linux.misc]
> Score: =-100
>   Newsgroups: .*comp\.os\.linux\.setup

See my other post. There are strange things with Newsgroup: matching. My
setup won't match 24hoursupport with any RE, despite what I thought
earlier. I presume it's because my newsserver doesn't include this group,
I can match other groups which are served. I don't know why Pan will only
match groups which are available from the server, my guess is some kind
of optimization by Pan.

--
Nigel Wade