uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Installing package ending rpm.run ?

Subject: Re: Installing package ending rpm.run ?
From: Whiskers
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:11:49 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

On 2010-01-13, Ivor Jones <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought I'd experiment with an anti-virus scanner or two and following
> the recommendation in Linux Format magazine decided to have a look at
> BitDefender.
>
> The package available for download ends in rpm.run which the Fedora
> package manager says it doesn't understand, and I don't blame it,
> neither do I..!
>
> How the **** do I install
> BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.rpm.run
>

> Ivor

Open the file using a text editor (eg hit F3 when highlighting the file in
mc).  In fact, mc may even be able to open the file as if it were a
directory; it can do that with tarballs and normal RPM files.  If the
place you got the file from lacks instructions, then they should be built
into the file you downloaded.  If not - well, I'll let you guess what my
advice would be in those circumstances!

But why do you want an anti-virus program at all?

--
--  Whiskers