uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 query

Subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 query
From: Theo Markettos
Date: 06 Feb 2009 14:32:05 +0000 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

Hugh Newbury <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jon, Many thanks for that. I'll try it, but as I've got the vol at zero
> anyway, it might be bypassing the usual earphone socket. But it is
> easier (for me) than mucking about with the kernel!

Try seeing if you can disable the PC speaker in the BIOS.  'PC speaker' is
the beep that existed before sound cards, and might be being mixed without
passing through the usual volume control mixer.  It shouldn't affect the use
of soundcard functions.

If you want to test, try holding down a random letter key during boot -
normally when the BIOS keyboard buffer overflows it should beep.

Theo