uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 query

Subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 query
From: Tony van der Hoff
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:58:22 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

Hugh Newbury wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
Hugh Newbury <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jon, Many thanks for that. I'll try it, but as I've got the vol at zero
anyway, it might be bypassing the usual earphone socket. But it is
easier (for me) than mucking about with the kernel!
Try seeing if you can disable the PC speaker in the BIOS.  'PC speaker' is
the beep that existed before sound cards, and might be being mixed without
passing through the usual volume control mixer.  It shouldn't affect the use
of soundcard functions.

If you want to test, try holding down a random letter key during boot -
normally when the BIOS keyboard buffer overflows it should beep.

Theo

Tried that, but with no luck. Looks as if I shall have to have a go at
the kernel. Boohoo.

Wire-cutters around the speaker(s)?

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx