uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Advice needed

Subject: Re: Advice needed
From: Darren Salt
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:12:55 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

I demand that Bruce Stephens may or may not have written...

> markhobley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mark Hobley) writes:
>> Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> How is ATI graphics nowadays?  I'd really like to have a graphics card
>>> with dual monitor support and 3D, supported in free software.
>> I haven't looked at dual monitor stuff, but the 3d graphics seem to work
>> fine, although I haven't tried the absolute latest cards.

> Cool.  I must admit I'm more interested in dual monitors than with 3D.

> Though I guess nowadays one can reasonably buy 1920 by 1200 monitors (which
> have more pixels than my usual dual 1280x1024 setup), so maybe a single
> monitor would be OK.

I've never had any problems with dual 1280×1024 connected to a card driven by
xf86-video-ati. OTOH, I've not really used newer than R300-series, but I
still wouldn't expect problems.

3D is fine, and I wouldn't switch to a single 1920×1200 display: I quite like
being able to run something full-screen on one monitor...

| + Buy less and make it last longer.         INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

What a friend we have in cheeses.