uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Advice needed

Subject: Re: Advice needed
From: chris
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:45:46 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Lurker <john@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I am looking at these,
>> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html?price=2 with a
>> decided preference for the AMD components/hardware, toward the top
>> end of the price range.
>
> Why?  I must admit for a long time I went with AMD, but last time I
> looked (which was a couple of years ago) Intel was competitive, and
> safer software-wise.  Perhaps things have changed?

Why safer "software-wise"? Anything that runs on AMD will run on Intel
and vice-versa, it's been a long time since the days were certain '686'
cpus had poorly implemented the x86 compatibility.

In fact, AMD had the first x86-64bit cpu to market and it was Intel that
had to 'copy' them.

Although I was a big fan of AMD in their Athlon era, they seriously
screwed up when trying to compete with Intel's Core architecture. Last I
looked Intel were much faster, but AMD were cheaper for a given 'speed'.