uk.comp.os.linux

Re: Graphics Adaptors for Dual Headed on Ubuntu

Subject: Re: Graphics Adaptors for Dual Headed on Ubuntu
From: Tony Houghton
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:35:34 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

In YSzYi.19405$6v.16115@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Taylor <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a dual headed machine currently running Win2k.
>
> I want to move it to Ubuntu, still dual headed.
>
> It currently has an ATI radeon 7000.
> As far as I can tell this is too old for ATI linux drivers to give
> dual screen support.
>
> Does anyone else have a dual screen setup working ?
>
> Is it best to use two adaptors, or can I get a single card that will
> run two screens ?

When you say ATI driver do you mean the proprietary one? It doesn't
support Xinerama anyway, only a single framebuffer across both heads or
a separate X screen on each monitor. The free driver does support
Xinerama. It should work with a 9x00 card (IIRC I've used Xinerama with
a 9600XT as well as a 9000) in case it doesn't work with the 7000.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk