uk.comp.misc

Re: DVD ROM tray

Subject: Re: DVD ROM tray
From: "Ed Cryer"
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:10:16 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc

"Rob" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:gghd2n$5an$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Ed Cryer" <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ggh9cl$tt4$1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Mortimer" <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OqidnRkVFd6eTrbUnZ2dnUVZ8ridnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Marcus Houlden" <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:slrngimi0f.3q0.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:31:34 -0000, Ed Cryer <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Sometimes the tray won't open, neither by the button nor by right
click/eject. It just makes a slight clunk sound as if it's trying.
After a few tries it works. Then I open and close it about ten times.
But later it's back to square one again.

I've uninstalled/re-installed. Downloaded & installed latest drivers.
Same problem.

Is there something in the gubbins I should oil? Or wipe, or blow on?

Probably time to get a new one, especially if you've had it a while. You can
buy a new DVD writer for about 15, even from PC World.

If you do replace the drive, beware of a problem that I encountered: the existing Nero software would not recognise the new drive. I had to buy another drive, this time with Nero bundled with it, and uninstall the original Nero.

I tried the standard Nero solution for this symptom, which was a download that allowed non-admin users the ability to write to the drive, but it had no effect. I suspect that the original Nero may have been a customised version that was locked to work only with the original drive.

That's interesting. To have turned out "locked" versions would have cost a pretty penny; individual software for each DVD drive sold!! Or maybe you mean common-coding that locks into the serial number of the drive at install time? Now, that sounds more possible. But you'd still have the original common-coding on disc; and you could use that on any other machine with any other CD or DVD writer.
Solution to the problem you've outlined. Uninstall and reinstall.

Or maybe I'm being a bit dense, and I've misunderstood what you're saying?

OEM Nero just looks at the firmware on the CD/DVD drives and will
only work if one of the attached drives is in it's internal list.
Here's a scenario which I recently went through and may explain better:

I had a PC which came with OEM Nero and a Samsung writer.
I added a 2nd writer (LG) and this also worked.  I removed the
(faulty) Samsung and then the LG was then no longer recognised
by Nero (still visible to the OS though), leaving only the virtual
'image recorder' as the only available recording 'device'.

HTH,
--
Rob

Did you have no way to reinstall Nero? No SmartRestore or something like that?

Ed