uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Roll your own software?

Subject: Re: Roll your own software?
From: Rob Morley
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 00:22:33 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:02:19 -0000
"invalid" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Rob Morley" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > That's fine when you're working with a clearly defined architecture,
> > but PC hardware is so varied you'll spend all your time and more
> > just writing drivers even assuming you can get hold of the relevant
> > hardware specs.
>
> Don't think that it is as bad as that; after all, some distros boot
> from the CD ROM and driver the keyboard, VGA screen and disks
> with ease. I suspect that there is a bog-standard subset that is
> common to all PCs.

Some distros boot a full X windows environment with the right drivers
for your graphics, soundcard, network interface, but I think you'll
find they do that with some fairly sophisticated hardware detection
routines and a whole load of drivers implemented as dynamically loaded
kernel modules. If you just want to read a disk sector and display it
on the screen you could do it with a bit of assembler using BIOS
interrupts, I suppose DOS didn't do a great deal more than that
anyway.  Is that the sort of information you're after?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_interrupt_call
It's really hard to tell from what you've written so far whether
anything I say is going to be useful or teaching granny ...