uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Windows 7

Subject: Re: Windows 7
From: Johnny B Good
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:15:00 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

The message <dgcci5lus7v4s133u6lnsr4e5uqnt8n434@xxxxxxx>
from Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> contains these words:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:47:07 GMT, Johnny B Good
> <jcs.computersbutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >The message <9g4ci5lt6lhfmqv3lb3d24190254luo9o8@xxxxxxx>
> >from Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> contains these
> >words:

> >> TweakUI will do it in one go.
> >
> > Are you sure it will do _that_?

> Yup. Since maybe 2003 I've used TweakUI to repoint My Docs, Desktop,
> Favorites (sic), and SendTo over to another drive - the latter three
> as folders within My Documents (or D:\JaimieDocs\ as it really is).

 I've googled and found a reference to ver 1.33 for win2k and the later
version 2.10 which seems to be for winXP/server 2003 but not, by
implication, for win2k.

 I downloaded the ver 2.10 installer but it falls flat on its face and
the 1.33 version _doesn't_ list any option to relocate _anything_. What
I did see, didn't impress me at all (no wonder the few tweakuid systems
I'd seen were so broken).

> >I've always been suspicious of it

 I haven't seen anything to change my mind on that score.

> >having seen its effect on some systems I've had in for repair. I always
> >thought it was simply a tool that gathered all the (scattered) standard
> >settings into one easy point of access.

> Not at all, about two-thirds of the settings it exposes are only
> registry-tweakable otherwise.

> > I suppose it won't do any harm to check out its features with
> > google, though.

> Installing it has absolutely zero affect, only changing settings and
> saving them.

 Yes, I'd worked that out. However, although the 1.33 version duly
appeared in the Add/remove programs list, clicking on its uninstall
option merely removed it from that list, failing to remove its cpl file,
leaving it active in the control panel. I had to delete the tweakui.cpl
from the system32 folder to get rid of it (and, for good measure search
out the rest of the tweakui files and delete _them_).

 All in all, a not impressive performance. Unless the later version is
not incompatable with win2k as implied _and_ I can find a way to install
it, it looks as though tweakui is a bit of a non-starter.

 It doesn't help one bit that I haven't been able to find a
comprehensive list of all of its features to check whether it's even
worth bothering with. The only reason I know that a version of tweakui
offers this facility at all is from your post.

 This begs the questions: "Which version?" and "Is that version
compatable with windows 2000 as well as windows 2003 and windows XP?"

--
Regards, John.

 Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.