Re: Windows 7

Subject: Re: Windows 7
From: Johnny B Good
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:15:00 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

The message <dgcci5lus7v4s133u6lnsr4e5uqnt8n434@xxxxxxx>
from Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> contains these words:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:47:07 GMT, Johnny B Good
> <jcs.computersbutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >The message <9g4ci5lt6lhfmqv3lb3d24190254luo9o8@xxxxxxx>
> >from Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> contains these
> >words:

> >> TweakUI will do it in one go.
> >
> > Are you sure it will do _that_?

> Yup. Since maybe 2003 I've used TweakUI to repoint My Docs, Desktop,
> Favorites (sic), and SendTo over to another drive - the latter three
> as folders within My Documents (or D:\JaimieDocs\ as it really is).

 I've googled and found a reference to ver 1.33 for win2k and the later
version 2.10 which seems to be for winXP/server 2003 but not, by
implication, for win2k.

 I downloaded the ver 2.10 installer but it falls flat on its face and
the 1.33 version _doesn't_ list any option to relocate _anything_. What
I did see, didn't impress me at all (no wonder the few tweakuid systems
I'd seen were so broken).

> >I've always been suspicious of it

 I haven't seen anything to change my mind on that score.

> >having seen its effect on some systems I've had in for repair. I always
> >thought it was simply a tool that gathered all the (scattered) standard
> >settings into one easy point of access.

> Not at all, about two-thirds of the settings it exposes are only
> registry-tweakable otherwise.

> > I suppose it won't do any harm to check out its features with
> > google, though.

> Installing it has absolutely zero affect, only changing settings and
> saving them.

 Yes, I'd worked that out. However, although the 1.33 version duly
appeared in the Add/remove programs list, clicking on its uninstall
option merely removed it from that list, failing to remove its cpl file,
leaving it active in the control panel. I had to delete the tweakui.cpl
from the system32 folder to get rid of it (and, for good measure search
out the rest of the tweakui files and delete _them_).

 All in all, a not impressive performance. Unless the later version is
not incompatable with win2k as implied _and_ I can find a way to install
it, it looks as though tweakui is a bit of a non-starter.

 It doesn't help one bit that I haven't been able to find a
comprehensive list of all of its features to check whether it's even
worth bothering with. The only reason I know that a version of tweakui
offers this facility at all is from your post.

 This begs the questions: "Which version?" and "Is that version
compatable with windows 2000 as well as windows 2003 and windows XP?"

Regards, John.

 Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.