Re: Roll your own software?

Subject: Re: Roll your own software?
From: Rob Morley
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 23:29:10 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:26:42 -0000
"invalid" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Rob Morley" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:20091231151605.653d220d@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Why do anything that interests you?

Useful things interest me - you didn't actually specify a use for your

> > That's fine when you're working with a clearly defined architecture,
> > but PC hardware is so varied you'll spend all your time and more
> > just writing drivers even assuming you can get hold of the relevant
> > hardware specs.
> Which is where I came into this NG. A discussion group should always
> be good for a discussion!
Except that this group is about assembling PCs, not writing operating
systems.  There really ought to be a more appropriate group somewhere
in comp.os.* or*

> > Someone already posted the Wikipedia page comparing free/open-source
> > operating systems - have a play with some of the software listed
> > there and see if any of it takes your fancy, it ranges from minimal
> > experimental stuff to full production environments, all of which
> > can be compiled from scratch and hacked around to suit your needs.
> That would be no different to being a slave to Microsoft and would not
> interest me, thanks all the same.
Apart from the fact that you get all the source code, rights to modify
it and all the tools you need to do it, you mean?