uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: AVG9

Subject: Re: AVG9
From: Mike Tomlinson
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:21:23 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

In article <31303030373730364B0E055F42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Johnny B Good
<jcs.computersbutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> Regarding AVG 8.5, I fell out with that when it suddenly decided to
>randomly invoke the rootkit scan module (avgrsx.exe) a month or so back.

It runs pretty reliably for me (full scan at 0200 every morning) but I'm
just a little worried that it never seems to find anything apart from
false-positives on about half a dozen files which I've had on my system
for years (and I mean 10 yrs or more.)

One of the files is the DOS driver for the PC Ecolink card (an ISA card
to allow a PC to be connected to an Acorn Econet network.)  AVG, over
several revisions has consistently identified this as infected.

But what really pissed me off about AVG8 was it automatically and
silently transferring files it thinks are infected to the virus vault
without so much as a by-your-leave.  I'm sure it can be disabled but it
certainly shouldn't be the default action.

I run Spybot regularly too and this never finds anything either.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.