uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: I give up, how do I find a PC support company for friends?

Subject: Re: I give up, how do I find a PC support company for friends?
From: Chris Whelan
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 15:08:06 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:50:31 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

> This week I have had 5 calls from very non-technical stay-at-home folks
> wanting their XP PCs sorted out.
>
> Due to commitments I'm not able to jump around and help them through
> some really silly problems (like updating AV software, install their
> broadband, etc...) and hold their hands explaining basic things for the
> fiftieth time.
>
> Isn't there an online directory of support companies that can visit on a
> per-hour / or better per-job basis, that won't charge excessively, and
> will discuss these things with customers young and old in plain english?
> Not interested in firms that do *everything* via remote desktop
> connections.
>
> Location NW London.

I would be very surprised if such companies existed; it always seems to
take me three time as long to hand-hold someone through these sort of
things rather than do it myself. The cost would not be viable.

I build and repair the machine for friends, neighbours and relatives. I
have some standard documents that have basic information about updates
and malware scans. I give them a hard copy, and leave a copy on their
machine. If they ring me for help, I get them to try to do it themselves
first. Quite a few gain confidence, and are better able to cope in the
future.

Would the folk wanting your help be able to attend any of the many basic
computer courses that are available just about everywhere?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.