uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: nForce4 Ultra motherboard & graphics card query

Subject: Re: nForce4 Ultra motherboard & graphics card query
From: "Smurf"
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:17:07 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

Multithreaded wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:47:23 -0000, Conor <conor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Will do ... when I've had sufficient sleep. I wonder what a stale
> Windows install from the old VIA chipset board will do when booted on
> the new board? It *will* boot because the C drive connects to a SCSI
> controller which will remain the same; I've done this many times
> before. I can't remember if my bedroom PC used to have a VIA board -
> it has since been changed first to an nForce2 board, then an nForce4
> Ultra. The disk drivers for that PC's XP installation are fine, with
> no trace of old old VIA drivers, which I presumably must have removed
> after or before installing the nVidia ones. Anyway, my data and
> programs are safe as I've imaged the SCSI C drive many times onto
> other PCs. I wonder if the nForce4 IDE drivers are the same as the
> nForce2 ones, given that both can be installed from the same file
> downloaded from nVidia's site? At least, I think this is so; I'm about
> to find out as I'm just about to do an install onto a PC which has the
> old nForce2 board.
>
> Thinking out loud in public can be dangerous ...

I agree that its the hard disk controllers which usually cause the problem,
creating BSODS on boot ups, even if you are booting from your scsi device.
If this happens grab hold of the latested Hirens Boot CD it has a great
little registry / driver fix, it installs into the windows driver folder all
the major ide and sata drivers for XP.
It doesnt always work, but have saved a few systems through it.