uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: nForce4 Ultra motherboard & graphics card query

Subject: Re: nForce4 Ultra motherboard & graphics card query
From: Multithreaded
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:54:10 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:15:37 +0000, Mike Tomlinson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>It's been checked with Memtest86+ v.4 recently, but I will check
>>again.
>
>It probably is OK then.  Do you have a copy of v3.65 to try?

No I don't. I presumably used to. Is there anything that version can
do that v4 can't?

>> Linux runs flawlessly.
>
>Built a kernel?  Best way to exercise the memory.

To be fair, I haven't. You're right, of course; running Linux and
merely doing e2fscks on partitions and disk copying is far from being
a comprehensive test. I am also not running X, which has yet to be
rebuilt (from source: it's a BLFS system). I'm far too busy with a
critical data recovery job at the moment to do a Memtest run, so will
have to remember to do one overnight when I go to bed, if I remember.

As to the corrupt file, I will simply fetch a known good file from
another of my nForce PCs and copy it to a floppy, then boot a
customised UBCD4Win DVD I've made and copy it to the correct location
and reboot, and see what happens. All this is super low priority as my
main PC is still needing a rebuild and is the most urgent job I have,
after I have done the data recovery and got the friend's PC up and
running again.

Drug induced manic depression is handy when in the up mode for weeks
like this.

--

Multithreaded.