uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Isolating two hard disks in the same computer?

Subject: Re: Isolating two hard disks in the same computer?
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 01:50:49 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Wed, 6 May 2009 17:43:46 -0700 (PDT), ajmoss3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>One of my friends has become rather paranoid after reading too
>many reports of malware infection vectors in Windows 2000/XP.
>He has one machine (from the Pentium 4 era) that he uses for
>most things, and another, completely separate, which is the
>only one he allows to connect to the Internet.

[snippety]
>One approach might involve two partitions, each with a separate
>Linux installation.

If he's willing to go Linux, why not have the P4 machine be Linux and
on the internet, running a VMware/Virtual Box of Windows with no
network interfaces installed (or maybe host-only networking)? And junk
the other box.

>Another approach I'm considering is based on Windows XP SP3 not
>supporting SATA interfaces without third-party drivers.

Unlikely to work as wished since XPsp3 *does* support SATA with
builtin drivers.

        Cheers - Jaimie
--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then
 quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)