uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Replacement disk for laptop

Subject: Re: Replacement disk for laptop
From: Philip Herlihy
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 22:13:12 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

Alex Fraser wrote:
Philip Herlihy wrote:
Alex Fraser wrote:
Philip Herlihy wrote:
Need more space! Is there any reason (battery usage, noise, heat...) not to go for a 7200rpm model rather than 5400?
It's reasonable to expect a 7200rpm 2.5" drive will have higher power
consumption (therefore reducing battery life in a laptop and making
more heat) and will at best be no quieter.
However, this ignores the fact that you are presumably interested in
comparing a *new* 7200rpm drive and an *old* 5400rpm drive. For
example, from what I've seen, it is quite possible that at least the
idle power of a new 7200rpm drive will actually be lower than your
current drive.
What make/model is the current drive and what capacity do you desire?
Thanks - It's a 60Gb Fujitsu MHT2060AH. I could make do with 80GB,
and may not use more than that.
I dug up some specs here:
http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/HDD/mht2ah-spec-e-70402.pdf

The power consumption is not bad, judging by the spec. Although there are 7200rpm 2.5" drives that have lower power consumption (and are quieter), unfortunately the only ones I know of are SATA. I haven't looked recently but strongly suspect that choices for PATA and 7200rpm will generally be older drives that will, as you expected, have higher power consumption and be louder than a 5400rpm drive.
Alex
Thanks - I'll be content with more space, and not hanker after
rejuvenation either for the laptop or myself!
Phil