uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Big graphics card question!

Subject: Re: Big graphics card question!
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:09:56 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:01:44 +0000, Adrian C <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Conor wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Brian W says...
>>> I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS graphics card, which takes the width of two PCI
>>> slots. As I want to get an Asus Xonar HDAV audio card, which needs two
>>> PCI-E
>>> slots, I've moved the graphics card to the second PCI-E x16 slot (GA-X38
>>> motherboard). This card is now almost touching the TV tuner I have in the
>>> bottom PCI slot.
>>>
>>> Is this safe?
>>
>> No it isn't. I found this out to my peril ...
>
>Ouch.
>
>Maybe a "PCI Flexible Riser" might be of help to relocate the TV card?

A well-placed fan might be enough to keep the gfx heat away from the
TV card. Not in between the two, but blowing up between them at an
angle -

=====      Gfx
____  //   tuner
     //  fan

There's no other card shuffling you can do, Brian? At worst, you could
swap the tuner card out for a USB based one.

        Cheers - Jaimie
--
207 BC: Chrysippus, Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of
laughter after watching his drunken donkey attempt to eat figs.