uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?

Subject: Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:01:58 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:05:10 -0000, "Synapse Syndrome"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jkn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there
>>    mention of these nice small servers came up a while ago when they
>> were being sold cheap. I recently picked one up for a good price & am
>> looking to put Ubuntu Server on it for a home backup system/email
>> server etc. One noddy question though; people were mentioning having
>> *five* SATA drives on it, which sounds like a good arrangement for
>> RAID. My M/board only seems to have four SATA sockets on it. I'm new
>> to SATA, being an old IDE man; what am I misunderstanding here?
>

>Just get larger hard drives.  It's more efficient.  Two terabyte disks in
>RAID-1 would probably be sufficient for most people's data, and would be
>good  a contingency plan for drive failure (is anyone wants to mention that
>"RAID-1 is *not* backup", I've heard it all before).  Any easily replaceable
>files can be on single disks.

Seconded - two 1Tb hard drives at under £80 each are better value than
an equivalent pile of 500gig ones. Also you can go from mirror to
raid5 on three disks, which gives you buckets of space.

        Cheers - Jaimie
--
207 BC: Chrysippus, Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of
laughter after watching his drunken donkey attempt to eat figs.