uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Vista Briefcase worse than XP?!

Subject: Re: Vista Briefcase worse than XP?!
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:14:04 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:48:04 +0000, Alex Fraser <me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 08:12:08 +0000, Alex Fraser <me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>[snip]
>>> Syncing a single 600MB file cached in RAM to an empty directory, it
>>> reports around 50MB/s here - that's using a daemon connection rather
>>> than running over ssh and seems to be near the limit of both destination
>>> CPU and drive.
>>
>> Nice - thanks, I'll go grab a copy.
>>
>> Hmm. I see it's just a package with cygwin bits included. The rsync
>> that comes with cygwin was one of the slow ones on my previous tests,
>> pointing at a destination linux rsyncd. I'll give it a go.
>
>I'd be interested to know how you get on. What are the machine specs like?

Meh. 3.5meg/second from the winbox to the NAS (Infrant NV+), so no
change. It's a 2GHz c2D with 3gig RAM, Broadcom gigabit that pushes
50meg/second in other conditions (and maybe faster - that's hard drive
limited).

Pulling from the NAS is quicker - 6meg/second. Meh again.

The Apples and the Linux box get 20-40meg/second to the NAS. I'm
guessing it's some sort of dissent between the Linux that runs the NAS
and Cygwin's sockets.

I don't have a second Windows box to try like-to-like transfers.

>One way of looking at it is to note that delta transfers are turned off
>by default for local syncs, and going over gigabit Ethernet is more like
>local than even a 100Mbit network.

Good extrapolation.

        Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by infinity is
 to contemplate the extent of human stupidity."         -- Voltaire