uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?

Subject: Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?
From: "Synapse Syndrome"
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:05:10 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
jkn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there
>    mention of these nice small servers came up a while ago when they
> were being sold cheap. I recently picked one up for a good price & am
> looking to put Ubuntu Server on it for a home backup system/email
> server etc. One noddy question though; people were mentioning having
> *five* SATA drives on it, which sounds like a good arrangement for
> RAID. My M/board only seems to have four SATA sockets on it. I'm new
> to SATA, being an old IDE man; what am I misunderstanding here?

Just get larger hard drives.  It's more efficient.  Two terabyte disks in
RAID-1 would probably be sufficient for most people's data, and would be
good  a contingency plan for drive failure (is anyone wants to mention that
"RAID-1 is *not* backup", I've heard it all before).  Any easily replaceable
files can be on single disks.

ss.