uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?

Subject: Re: HP Proliant ML115 G5 : Five SATA drives with only four sockets?
From: "Synapse Syndrome"
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:50:14 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Tony Wright <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that is probably not such a good idea. RAID-5 on three 1TB
>>> disks is asking for trouble. You really need to be using RAID-6 at
>>> that sort of capacity.
>
>> Why? And why at that level? And how would RAID6 help?
>
> RAID5 can survive 1 disk failing but it takes a long time to rebuild a
> TB disk during which time a RAID5 array is vulnerable. RAID6 can survive
> 2 drives failing hence why it is also known as ADG (Advanced Data
> Guarding).
> RAID10 may survive 2 drives failing but can fail if the wrong 2 drives
> fail.

I was just about to ask where you can find RAID-6 controllers, as I had
never seen any, but it seems that even some affordable motherboards have it
these days.  Even so, with the possibility of motherboard or controller card
failure, and to K.I.S.S, I am personally happy with RAID-1.  One of those
Drobo things would be ideal, although they are a bit pricey (I see failure
of one of those a simple matter to deal with when replaced).  Plug'n'Play.

ss.