uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: Changing XP logon

Subject: Re: Changing XP logon
From: "Synapse Syndrome"
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:10:57 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been given an old HP laptop with XP, but on power up it gives a
> name and asks for a password. Changing the name and password returns a
> message saying unrecognised. Backup re-install disks are supplied - if
> I use them will I then have the option of being the administrator? Is
> there a way without having to go all through the install?

It's possible that the person who origianally installed Windows was sloppy
enough to not set an administrator password.  Well, I have seen this on
other people's computers in the past..

Are you trying to sign-in through the Welcome Screen?  If so, at the screen,
press Alt+Ctrl+Del twice, and get the old style domain login screen, and try
signing in as administrator, with no password.

ss.