uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: MB failed after RAM upgrade?

Subject: Re: MB failed after RAM upgrade?
From: Johnny B Good
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:55:41 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

The message <wHiHk.3539$UH5.1579@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
from Chris Whelan <cawhelan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> contains these words:

> Clint Sharp wrote:

> > In message <IE6Hk.1390$FS.1322@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Whelan
> > <cawhelan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >>Anyone have any other ideas before I give him the bad news please?
> > Check the DIMM slots with a magnifying glass, you might be lucky and
> > find he's bent a contact which is shorting.

> Thanks, I'll do that.

> > Also reseat the graphics
> > card and remove any other cards.

> The MB has onboard graphics; a gfx card was also installed. I've tried using
> just the onboard, but no luck.

> > Make sure the relevant mounting pillars
> > are relevant and that there aren't any 'extra' ones that might have just
> > come into play.

> I hadn't thought of that, although the machine has been in use for a couple
> of years.

 I've one such example where the solder resist lacquer layer initially
protected the circuit traces involved from being framed by the 'extra'
brass support pillar for a couple of years. The inevitable vibrations
finally caused the solder resist layer to wear away, allowing a framing
fault to finally appear.

--
Regards, John.

 Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.