The message <gbxOk.5264$fF3.4245@edtnps83>
from "j" <nomail@xxxxxxx> contains these words:
> My favourite superglue is Loctite gel; it stays on the parts you want to
> glue instead of running everywhere, and it the nozzle stays unblocked
> until it's run out.
Talking of Loctite products, if you think 2 years storage is good for a
cyanoacrylate based product, just consider this:
Last week I decided to fix the minor petrol leak at the fuel tap on my
recently acquired PowerCraft 2,800W dual voltage Long Run Generator that
I'd bought from Aldi a few weeks before. It seemed a much preferable
solution to boxing it all back up and returning to the Aldi store ;-)
Luckily, I'd only put 5 litres of fuel into the tank, so I could simply
upend it to avoid having to drain the tank before removing the fuel tap.
It seemed pretty obvious that the leak was between the fuel tap and the
tank, rather than the tap itself.
The tap was threaded into the tank with a locknut designed to
accomodate an 'O' ring and allow the tap to be lined up for access and
allow a tight seal. Unfortunately, instead of an 'O' ring, they'd used a
shaped 'rubber' washer which, in profile, could, perhaps, be described
as a squat 'Top-Hat (or a stepped washer, if you prefer). The 'brim' was
meant to go between the tank and the locknut with the inner 'hat' part
going into the rebate where an 'O' ring would have been fitted.
Part of the 'brim' or flange had torn and this 'all too clever' design
was preventing it from working as effectively as a simple'O' ring would
have done. I didn't happen to have any suitably sized 'O' rings to hand,
so I trimmed the flange off the rubber washer and dug out my 30 year old
bottle of Loctite 'Plastic Gasket'(tm) (more as an act of optimism, it
has to be admitted ;-), to 'gloss over' any deficiencies in my repair
Much to my surprise, the green solution actually flowed out of the
applicator nozzle as easily as it had the day I bought it, some 30 years
back, I applied it to the lower part of the tap threads and into the 'O'
ring gap and re-assembled it to the tank. It seems to have worked since
there have been no further signs of the leak returning.
Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.