uk.comp.homebuilt

Re: UPS For Home Use

Subject: Re: UPS For Home Use
From: Jonathan Buzzard
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:56:43 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

On Tue, 13 May 2008 13:16:05 +0100, PeterC wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:31:31 +0100, Dr.Hal0nf1rÂ$ wrote:
>
>> I've run 2 x PCs, 2 x CRT monitors, router, 2 x 2.1 speakers and desk light,
>> all at the same time from my Belkin and kept the load under 90%, although I
>> now have the CRTs and router on a seperate UPS and share each UPS with a
>> seperate socket on my test bench.
>
> That's a good idea, having a lamp in the PSU. A CFL won't take much, will
> balance a small part of the PF and you're not left in darkness (although
> the monitors give a good light).
> When I wire an outbuilding I run the socets via a 30mA RCD and the lights
> are either via 100mA or just on a separate MCB. Most people will survive a
> shock but panic and falling off something due to sudden darkness..!

I believe the IEE regulations stipulate that lighting circuits should not
be RCD protected for this very reason. Though I have not seen the 17th
edition which comes into force in a few weeks. All the installations I
have seen have a split consumer unit to enable this.

If you are really paranoid, you need two UPS's and redundant power
supplies (or a change over unit for none critical things like monitors).
That way if the UPS fails etc. you can still keep trucking, while you swap
out the faulty unit. For extra paranoia you should feed the two UPS's from
different circuits.

JAB.

St. Andrews, United Kingdom.