uk.comp.homebuilt

Help with upgrade please

Subject: Help with upgrade please
From: "nut"
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:14:55 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

Hi all

I'd appreciate some help with this - i haven't built anything better than an
Athlon64 so i've become a little out of date regarding processors, memory &
power requirements.

I need a reasonably fast PC capable of playing World of Warcraft.

I currently have two boxes:

P4 1.5Ghz, 2x 256MB SDRAM (2/2 Slots), Geforce 6200 AGP - 300W PSU
Athlon 2000+, 2x 256MB SDRAM (2/2 Slots), Onboard Graphics, No AGP Slot,
Quality 300W PSU, mATX

I need over 1GB memory, preferably 2GB, so it's not economically viable to
upgrade either unit with 2x 512MB sticks of SDRAM... and, if i can, i'd like
to use a 300W PSU & the mATX case to save money.

I was looking at maybe upgrading the SFF's guts - something like

MSI PM8M3-V Socket 775 mATX DDR400 AGP
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=317064&view=detailed
£27

(Because it's cheap, is mATX, and has an AGP slot so i don't have to upgrade
the graphics card)

With either

Intel Pentium 4 631 3.0GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB, BOXED w/fan
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=317592

or

Intel Pentium 4 524 3.06GHz Socket LGA775, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=320818

Both £40

What's the difference with the above processors?

What speed DDR memory would i need to get?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a better route? Ideally i'd really like
more memory than 1GB, and perhaps i could spend a little extra on a PCI-E
card... something like

POINT OF VIEW GeForce 7300GS 256MB DDR Turbo Cache, 550Mhz/405Mhz,
PCI-Express
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=317788
£40

I'm just afraid that if i go for a whole new motherboard, cpu, memory &
graphics, i'm going to have to get a case & psu too... pushing me way over
budget.

I'm looking to spend £100 - £150 all in... and would be more than happy to
use second hand parts if anyone has anything suitable...

Thank you all very much in advance!