uk.comp.home-networking

Re: Netstumbler-like software for displaying wireless channel

Subject: Re: Netstumbler-like software for displaying wireless channel
From: "Mortimer"
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:14:36 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.home-networking

"JohnW" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:MPG.24e53ad820218f9c989680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <w6adndDS045vv-bXnZ2dnUVZ8j2dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Mortimer" wrote:

Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

Running Vista?  Try inSSIDe:
http://www.wi-spy.co.uk/products/inssider.html (You don't need the WiFi
dongle)

That's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. And the spectrum graph even serves as a reminder of which channels overlap with each other. Better than NetStumbler!